History of the Trinity United Methodist Church|
in Hoyt Lakes, Minnesota
As the town of Hoyt Lakes was being developed by Partidge Lakes Development Corporation, the Minnesota Council of Churches granted comity rights to the Minnesota Methodist Conference to build a church - or at least to begin work in the town site. In September, 1954, the Rev. Glenn Martin was assigned to Aurora. His task was to build a Methodist Church in Hoyt Lakes.
By September 9, 1954, worship services and Sunday school were being held at the Boase School Gym. Methodist Women had been organized and a fellowship group for couples was meeting at the Community Building. The Charter service for Trinity Methodist Church was held on June 2, 1957, with 91 charter members and 160 children attending Sunday school.
The original site for the building was the southwest corner of Dorchester and Kennedy Drive. A lighted ice church was built on the site in December, 1957. The original building committee was headed by John Tidball. Plans for this site were put aside and a new committee headed by Vern Daughney planned a building at the present site at the NE corner of Hampshire and Kennedy Drive.
The groundbreaking for the new church took place May 22, 1960, on land donated by Erie Mining Company. Lee Stegner of Stegner-Hendrickson Architects and Engineers of Brainerd designed the building and Bruch, Marrow and Knafla of Minneapolis were consulting engineers.
The contractor partially built the church at a cost of $80,000. All the interior finishing and furnishing was done by volunteers from the congregation. The finished value was $100,000. The first service in the not yet completed building was held on Thanksgiving, November 23, 1960. Dedication was March 5, 1962.
Trinity United Methodist Church is here as a witness to the presence of Jesus Christ in our lives and our community. To that end we are dedicated to sharing this Gospel through worship, study, fellowship and service.
Trinity has hosted many fellowship dinners with entertainment and good food. The homemade pies served at the Water Carnival are well remembered. Early church members planted trees for the Forestry Department, and acres of tall red pine trees located off Highway 11 are proud reminders. Bazaars, luncheons, mother-daughter events and an active United Methodist Women have kept the women of the church busy. The men are the greatest of kitchen helpers.
Summer camp, family retreats, and active youth are part of our heritage, along with various other activities such as the quilting group that meets every Tuesday morning. Their quilts have been given to Christmas family members, residents of White Community Nursing Home, the National Mission, Emma Norton Residence in St. Paul, and to confirmands and children baptized at the church.
Music is an important part of our worship and we have been blessed with good organists and an active choir and director since the beginning of our church.
Originally, the church was known as Trinity Methodist, but was changed to Trinity United Methodist Church.
Those who have served as Church Pastors include the following:
1954-1957 Rev. Glenn Martin
1957-1959 Rev. E. Taylor Hare
1959-1962 Rev. Richard Mathison
1962-1965 Rev. Paul Ingelin
1965-1967 Rev. Lloyd Osborne
1967-1974 Re. Willard Bell
1974-1979 Rev. Roger Parks
1979-1984 Rev. Mark Johnson
1984-1987 Rev. Ronald Hume
1984-1994 Rev. Brian Marshall
1994-2002 Rev. Ruth Gangloff
2002-2009 Rev. Elton Brown
2009-Present Rev. Barbara Hegfors
Rev. Barbara J Hegfors | email@example.com
Kennedy Memorial Dr and Hampshire Dr, Hoyt Lakes, MN 55750
Mailing Address: PO Box 413, Hoyt Lakes, MN 55750